The Road to Becoming a School Librarian
Not all school librarians hold a professional qualification, but if you want to pursue a diploma or masters in Library and Information Science there are several options available.
FULL-TIME & PART-TIME IN DUBLIN
University College Dublin
Many school librarians in Ireland will have qualified at the UCD School of Information and Communication Studies. There is a one year full-time postgraduate Graduate Diploma in Library and Information Studies, or the equivalent course over two years part-time. In addition, there is a one year Masters in Library and Information Studies (MLIS) which can also be taken part-time over two years.
Dublin Business School
DBS offers a Master of Science (MSc) Information & Library Management which can be taken on both a full or a part-time basis.
ONLINE & Distance Learning
University of Ulster
There is a one-year part-time course in Library and Information Management PgDip/MSc in University of Ulster which is taught online.
Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen
This university offers online courses including the MSc in Information and Library Studies. It has post-graduate Diploma and Masters courses with the added benefit of having a work experience placement on the full-time course. It has start dates throughout the year, which offers lots of flexibility.
University of Wales, Aberystwyth
This university offers a few possibilities. The Department of Information Studies offers a number of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Students can take between two and five years to complete the MSc.
The Library Association of Ireland is the professional body representing libraries and librarianship in Ireland. This is your first port-of-call. Have a look around the website, join if you’re an MLIS student (or a MSc/PGDip, etc.), or have an MLIS, even if you are not currently working. Membership is free for students and is scaled for those in employment. There are some excellent resources on the site, including the LAI Careers Page, which includes an FAQ, job listings and information on courses.
The Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals is the professional body for librarians, information specialists and knowledge managers in the UK.
Other career resources
- #lisjobsie – This is the Twitter hashtag to follow if you’re looking out for job news.
- LAI CDG – The Library Association of Ireland’s Career Development Group is another one to join (if you’re a member of the LAI – and there’s no excuse not to be if you’re a student – the membership is free!). They put on some great events with tips on CVs, interviews and more. It’s also worth keeping an eye on their Twitter.
- LibraryJobs.ie – Library Jobs publishes job ads from all sectors of the Library community. It is a good place to look out for school librarian positions. They also have an active Facebook and Twitter presence.
- Qualifax – The National Courses Database is the organisation responsible for managing applications to higher education courses in Ireland.
- Grad Ireland Library and Information Section – It doesn’t always have entries, but worth a look if you’re on the hunt for jobs.
If you know of anything else you think we should add to this page, please contact us!